Questions & Answers About the Withdrawal Policy at the University of Maryland

I've read the withdrawal procedures for undergraduates. Why is the University so concerned about withdrawing?
The withdrawal policy applies to undergraduate students who wish to drop all their courses and cease attending at the University for a semester. Students admitted to the University of Maryland are expected to make regular and consistent progress toward the completion of their degree. There may be exceptional circumstances that require a student to drop all classes and withdraw from school. The University considers such interruptions to be a serious matter as they delay a student's progress toward the degree. Consequently, students should not use the withdrawal process for frivolous reasons or to avoid the consequences of ignoring their academic responsibilities.

If I need to withdraw what must I do?
The University of Maryland is committed to the academic success of its students and wishes to ensure that students fully understand all consequences of withdrawing and have a clear plan for re-enrolling and completing their degrees. Students should submit a written notice of withdrawal to the Registrar's Office in Mitchell 1113, by no later than the last day of classes. The Registrar's staff will provide you with information about withdrawal and the process for returning.

What is the process for returning?
With the exception of students who have earned a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA with no previous withdrawal or leave of absence, students who find it necessary to leave the University are required to petition the Faculty Review Board in order to return. Students petitioning the Faculty Review Board are also required to complete a Reinstatement Advising Meeting with their academic college advising office before a petition is considered.

What is a leave of absence?
A leave of absence is a form of withdrawal. It is especially helpful for students who are receiving financial aid or who have student loans. Students on Federal Financial Aid may receive some benefit from a leave of absence. Prior to withdrawing, students with any form of financial assistance, such as grants, scholarships or loans, should meet with a financial aid counselor. A leave of absence can be granted only if the student withdraws during the last sixty days of the semester and intends to return to school the following semester (fall or spring).

What if I get called to active military duty?
If you are called to active duty in the U.S. armed forces, you may withdraw and receive a full refund of your tuition and fees for that semester. Students may re-enroll upon completion of their tour of duty.

Also see undergraduate policy on Withdrawal and Leave of Absence

University of Maryland | Testudo University of Maryland | Testudo University of Maryland University of Maryland | Testudo University of Maryland | Testudo